Sunday, September 14, 2014

September 10th


           Walking into class today I was much better prepared for what lay ahead.  I knew from the first class that it was going to be intense and that we were going to learn a lot.  Thank goodness everything is also written down somewhere so if I forget something I can go back over it at my leisure.  I have used Google docs in the past but never to this extent and I am excited to be able to use try it out for my own personal use.  This way I can get in the habit of using it and will be easily able to teach it to my students and incorporate it into my lessons.
            Also I tend to be an unorganized mess so I make myself extremely organized to combat it.  This being said I believe that incorporating google docs and everything else will greatly help me with my endeavor. This way if I forget something somewhere or am not sure I know I can access docs every where (and don't have to worry about my computer crashing).  Speaking of computers mind has decided it is too old to keep up with the times.  I was terrified that I would lose everything (I had had it for five years now) but thankfully I was able to save everything to my google drive (and organize it based on the new things that we recently learned in class).  Now when I finally get a new one I can put those files right back on it if I so which (and if anyone has advice for a new laptop I am all ears).
            I love how I keep imagining how to use these new techniques in my own classroom.  For instance, if I wanted my students to do a group power point or slide show I could set it up so that each group would have one, can see who did how much, and they can upload or share it right to a class folder.  This way I now everyone did their part and when it is time to present it is right there, no more messing with emails or flash drives.  This way I could also look over everything while it is being done so if there are questions I can comment right on their projects.  I can make a mini test that is based on all of the slides for the students to take after the last presentation as well. This way it is still fresh in their heads and they can see their grades sooner.  I can also see if I need to go over specifics or move on, thus keeping the right pace for my class.
           If I can plan this much already I am excited to learn more.  Though this is a very long class I'm eager to move forward and become better adapted to our technological age.

Until next time,
Nikki

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you are enjoying the class. It sounds like you are already thinking of ways to use what you learned in the classroom. I can't wait to see what you come up with for your Google Docs lesson plan.

    ReplyDelete